Tuesday, February 2, 2010


Questions still abound over the Great Los Angeles Air Raid of 1942. What was it that showed up on military radar screens the night of Feb. 24, 1942, prompting authorities to order a blackout and unleash an hour long anti-aircraft barrage?

The Battle of Los Angeles refers to an unidentified flying object event which took place from late February 24 to early February 25, 1942 in which eyewitness reports of an unknown object or objects over Los Angeles, California triggered a massive anti-aircraft artillery barrage.

Initially the target of the barrage was thought to be an attacking force from Japan, but it was later suggested to be a lost weather balloon, a blimp, a Japanese fire balloon or psychological warfare technique, staged for the benefit of coastal industrial sites, or even an extraterrestrial aircraft. The true nature of the object or objects remains unknown.

Could it have been enemy aircraft like those that attacked Pearl Harbor less than three months earlier? Was it just a weather balloon? Might it have been a UFO?

User Image
Fort MacArthur Museum volunteers Thomas Minton, left.
Bruce Hazelton/Staff Photographer

"What have we learned? Not much," said Steve Nelson, curator of the Fort MacArthur Museum in San Pedro, which housed some of the artillaryartillery used to protect the West Coast during World War II.

Decades later, it's difficult to imagine the tension gripping residents of Los Angeles and the rest of California. They were still reeling from the attack on Pearl Harbor and worried about a similar assault on the U.S. mainland.

Their fears were realized on Feb. 23, 1942, when a Japanese submarine surfaced and fired on an oil production facility near Santa Barbara. Reports circulated that the sub then headed south, in the direction of Los Angeles.

According to historical accounts by the California State Military Museum, U.S. naval intelligence issued a warning on Feb. 24 that an attack was expected in 10 hours, but the advisory was later lifted.

Then, early on Feb. 25, radar picked up an unidentified target 120 miles away from Los Angeles.

You can click on banner above for more information

At 2:15 a.m., anti-aircraft gun batteries were alerted and were ready to fire minutes later. At 2:21 a.m., the regional controller ordered a blackout. Information centers were flooded with reports of enemy planes "even though the mysterious object tracked in from the sea seems to have vanished," the museum's Web site said. At 2:43 a.m., planes were reported near Long Beach and one coastal artillery colonel spotted "about 25 planes at 12,000" feet over Los Angeles. At 3:06 a.m., a balloon carrying a red flare was seen over Santa Monica and four batteries of anti-aircraft artillery opened fire. Reports of what happened afterward vary.

"Probably much of the confusion came from the fact that anti-aircraft shell bursts, caught by the searchlights, were themselves mistaken for enemy planes," the museum's Web site states."

This is a video of the 2009 - 7th Annual Great Los Angeles Air Raid of 1942 Reenactment at Fort MacArthur in San Pedro, CA

Among those anti-aircraft batteries responding were the crews at Fort MacArthur who, according to veterans' reports, fired about seven rounds of 3-inch shells from guns mounted on the upper reservation, near where the Korean Friendship Bell stands today, Nelson said.

The number and type of aircraft reportedly seen over various parts of the Los Angeles area widely varied from one to 220 and from airplanes to balloons to a blimp. Some eyewitnesses said that there were no planes. And some people, in later years, have claimed that the objects were UFOs.

This is a video of the 2008 - 6th Annual Great Los Angeles Air Raid of 1942 Reenactment at Fort MacArthur in San Pedro, CA

"Although reports were conflicting and every effort is being made to ascertain the facts, it is clear that no bombs were dropped and no planes were shot down," the Western Defense Command said in a Feb. 25, 1942, Associated Press story. Those conflicting reports included the military.

Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson announced that as many as 15 aircraft, "possibly piloted by enemy agents," had flown over Los Angeles the morning of Feb. 25, according to an Associated Press report. Secretary of the Navy Frank Knox said that "reports reaching him indicated the incident was a false alarm and that extensive reconnaissance had disclosed no evidence of planes," the same story said.

Whether an enemy aircraft flew over American soil, there were several casualties due to blackout conditions. One occurred in Long Beach, where a police sergeant driving to headquarters was killed in a head-on collision with another driver, who had just come off duty at a shipyard. Another death was attributed to a heart attack. A third man died of injuries suffered when he walked into an automobile while trying to catch a Pacific Electric train in heavier than normal morning traffic after the all-clear was sounded.

Despite the uncertainty over the cause of the events, public officials praised the efficiency of civil defense officials, air raid wardens and anti-aircraft batteries in response to the perceived threat. Daily activities resumed after the all-clear was signaled at 7:21 a.m. although not without some glitches. Newspaper reports noted pupils absent from school and employees late to work that day while others went hunting for souvenirs - anti-aircraft shrapnel.

This is a video of the 2007 - 5th Annual Great Los Angeles Air Raid of 1942 Reenactment at Fort MacArthur

For more information, times, tickets, etc visit:
The Air Raid
Fort MacArthur Museum

Jan 2010 Dec 2009 Nov 2009 Oct 2009 Sept 2009 Aug 2009 July 2009 June 2009

May 2009 Apr 2009 Mar 2009
Feb 2009 Jan 2009 Dec 2008
Nov 2008 Oct 2008 Sept 2008 Aug 2008 July 2008 June 2008

No comments: